Rated as one of the most beautiful British diplomatic residences in the world, the Palace is listed as part of Argentina's national heritage.
Built between 1914 and 1917 under the direction of British architects Walter Bassett-Smith and Bertie Collcut, the Palace was originally designed to be the family residence of Carlos María Madero and Sara Unzué Baudrix. However, following the death of Carlos and his wife, the property was put up for sale. It was bought by the British Government in 1945. In 1946, parts of the Palace were renovated in anticipation of the Ambassador’s occupancy, including the façade facing the back garden and an imperial staircase from the first floor.
Today, the British diplomatic residency is inhabited by Mark Kent and his wife and is used for a number of different cultural events, official visits and other functions associated with British diplomatic activity in Argentina. The palace has received many important figures in its time, including members of the British royal family such as Princess Anne, Princess Diana of Wales, and Prince Harry, as well as musician Sir Tom Jones, rock n’ roll legends the Rolling Stones, and many more.